AS3 Assessment Officer 3
Assessment Services, Provincial Municipal Support Services
Minnedosa MB, Souris MB
Advertisement Number: 36921
AS3 $52,994.00 - $63,472.00 per year
January 10, 2021
The Manitoba government recognizes the importance of building an exemplary public service reflective of the citizens it serves, where diverse abilities, backgrounds, cultures, identities, languages and perspectives drives a high standard of service and innovation.
The Manitoba government supports equitable employment practices and promotes representation of designated groups (women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, visible minorities).
This is a preference competition. All applicants are encouraged to apply, however first consideration for this competition will be given to Indigenous people, visible minorities and persons with disabilities. Applicants are requested to self-declare at the time of application.
An eligibility list may be created for similar positions and may remain in effect for 12 months. This competition may be used to appoint successful candidate(s) to current and future regular, term or acting status appointments in Brandon, Souris or Minnedosa subject to staffing approval.
Candidates who do not meet all essential criteria may be considered on an underfill basis at a commensurate rate of pay.
Please indicate in your application the specific location(s) that you are applying for. Failure to do so may exclude you for placement consideration in these locations.
Are you interested in a challenging career that combines office work, the outdoors and travel? Do you have a background or interest in real estate, agriculture, land survey systems, geographic information systems, building construction or municipal government and enjoy interacting with people? Are you looking for a position that provides excellent career advancement potential, on-the-job training and financial support for required educational programs? A career as an Assessment Officer may be for you! Municipal Relations is looking for motivated individuals to join our property assessment team!
The Government of Manitoba offers a comprehensive benefit package which include paid vacation, extended health, health spending, dental, drug, vision, long term disability, supportive employment program, maternity and parental leave, and a defined pension plan (some pension plans allow for portability between the Civil Service Superannuation Board and employers).
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Must possess and maintain a valid full stage Manitoba Class 5 driver's license
- Must be willing and able to travel extensively throughout the assessment district with occasional overnight stays
- Must be able to provide a satisfactory criminal records check prior to being hired
- Must be willing and able to work overtime as required
- Completion of the Certificate in Real Property Assessment with experience in the complete annual assessment cycle. Completion of the Canadian Residential Appraiser (CRA) or a Residential Evaluation Specialist (RES) with experience in the complete annual assessment cycle may be considered.
- Experience valuing and/or inspecting a wide range of residential, farm and/or small to medium sized commercial buildings
- Experience verifying real estate sales
- Experience preparing and presenting evidence at assessment appeal hearings
- Exceptional interpersonal skills with the ability to establish and maintain relationships with staff, clients, as well as internal and external stakeholders
- Knowledge of Acts, Laws and Regulations pertaining to valuation and property assessment in Manitoba
- Excellent verbal communication skills for articulating ideas and conducting presentations before various audiences including Boards of Revision
- Excellent written communication skills for communicating simple to complex information to all levels of audiences
- Excellent organizational and time management skills for prioritizing competing and multiple demands in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team
- Proficient with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook) or equivalent software
As an Assessment Officer, you will inspect residential, farm and commercial property to record characteristics for valuation, classification and assignment of liability to taxation. You are responsible for updating property and ownership characteristics using internal software and determines value, class and liability. You are also responsible for communicating assessment information to the public and municipal councils and staff; defending assessments at Boards of Revision hearings and may defend assessments at Municipal Board hearings under supervision.
Advertisement # 36921
Service Centre 2
Human Resource Services
360-1395 Ellice Avenue
Winnipeg, MB, R3G 3P2
WHEN APPLYING TO THIS POSITION, PLEASE INDICATE THE ADVERTISEMENT NUMBER AND POSITION TITLE IN THE SUBJECT LINE AND/OR BODY OF YOUR EMAIL.
Applicants may request reasonable accommodation related to the materials or activities used throughout the selection process.
When applying to this position, please indicate the advertisement number and position title in the subject line and/or body of your email.
Your cover letter, resumé and/or application must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.
Please be advised that job competitions may be grieved and appealed. Should a selection grievance be filed, information from the competition file will be provided to the grievor's representative or the grievor, if unrepresented. Personal information irrelevant to the grievance and other information protected under legislation will be redacted.
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.