Director, Environmental Compliance & Enforcement (CLOSING DATE EXTENDED)
XM2 Senior Manager 2
Department of Sustainable Development
Environmental Compliance and Enforcement, Environmental Stewardship
Advertisement Number: 35099
XM2 $95,171.00 - $113,800.00 per year
May 23, 2019
The Manitoba government recognizes the importance of building an exemplary public service reflective of the citizens it serves, where diverse abilities, backgrounds, cultures, identities, languages and perspectives drives a high standard of service and innovation.
The Manitoba government supports equitable employment practices and promotes representation of designated groups (women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, visible minorities).
Employment Equity is a factor in selection for this competition. Consideration will be given to women, Indigenous people, visible minorities and persons with disabilities.
The Government of Manitoba is seeking a qualified candidate to fill the position of Director, Environmental Compliance and Enforcement within the Environmental Stewardship Division of Sustainable Development. The Manitoba Government has a comprehensive benefit package which includes extended health care, health spending account, dental care, vision care, long term disability insurance, group life insurance, maternity/paternity leave, family related leave, and a defined pension plan (some pension plans allow for portability between the Civil Service Superannuation Board and employers).
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Must possess and maintain a valid full-stage Class 5 Manitoba Driver's License
- Must be willing and able to travel with occasional overnight accommodations
- Must be able to provide a satisfactory Criminal Record Check
- Senior management experience with post-secondary degree in natural resource management, environmental studies/science, public administration, business administration, or a related field. A combination of equivalent education and experience in leadership and program management may be considered.
- Proven leadership skills with experience successfully leading, fostering and developing teams to achieve desired outcomes through effective human resource management activities such as: recruitment, training, performance management and labour relation management.
- Experience in policy and program development to address emerging and complex priorities and issues.
- Ability to strategically manage and synthesize multi-dimensional issues, adapt to changing priorities, and operate successfully in a deadline-driven environment
- Experience managing complex intersectoral initiatives and projects through strategic oversight and collaboration.
- Excellent political acumen skills demonstrated through experience providing strategic advice to senior leaders on sensitive issues.
- Superior verbal communication skills, including the ability to communicate and present to all levels of the organization and to external stakeholders.
- Superior written communication skills, including the ability to write sensitive material for senior leaders as well as a variety of authority seeking documents.
- Superior interpersonal skills, including the ability to establish and maintain productive working relationships with a wide range of senior staff across government and with external stakeholders.
- Experience developing, administering and enforcing legislation and regulations
- Experience with overall operational planning including assessing budgets and financial information, aligning information technology, and program training.
Reporting to the Assistant Deputy Minister of Environmental Stewardship, the Director of Environmental Compliance and Enforcement is a senior management position located in Winnipeg and it is responsible for directing and supervising the development, administration and environmental program delivery across Manitoba. Priority program areas include the delivery of services and programs to clients, stakeholders and the public in the following key areas: inspection, compliance monitoring, environmental emergency response, air quality monitoring, and enforcement of all applicable environment legislation. The incumbent is also responsible for working closely with various cross-sectoral collaborators to ensure complementary activities are being carried out and to provide rapid and adaptable solutions to existing and emerging environmental issues.
Advertisement # 35099
Service Centre 2
Human Resource Services
360-1395 Ellice Avenue
Winnipeg, MB, R3G 3P2
Applicants may request reasonable accommodation related to the materials or activities used throughout the selection process.
When applying to this position, please indicate the advertisement number and position title in the subject line and/or body of your email.
Your cover letter, resumé and/or application must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.
Please be advised that job competitions may be grieved and appealed. Should a selection grievance be filed, information from the competition file will be provided to the grievor's representative or the grievor, if unrepresented. Personal information irrelevant to the grievance and other information protected under legislation will be redacted.
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.