LF1 Legal Counsel 1
Crown Law, Manitoba Prosecution Service
Advertisement Number: 34457
LF1 $76,220.00 - $92,617.00 per year
October 17, 2018
The Manitoba government recognizes the importance of building an exemplary civil service that is inclusive and reflective of the population it serves. We encourage applicants to voluntarily self-declare in the cover letter, resumé or application if they are from any of the following employment equity groups: women, Indigenous people, visible minorities, and persons with disabilities.
Employment Equity is a factor in selection for this competition. Consideration will be given to Indigenous people and persons with disabilities.
An eligibility list may be created for similar positions and will remain in effect for 12 months.
Manitoba Prosecution Service is responsible for prosecuting most offences in Manitoba. These offences are identified in provincial statutes, the federal Criminal Code of Canada and The Youth Criminal Justice Act. This is a unique opportunity with Manitoba Prosecution Service to work in a dynamic office in Dauphin, Manitoba with Crown Attorneys of varying levels of experience.
Dauphin is situated in the heart of Manitoba’s most spectacularly scenic region known as the Parkland. For more information on living and working in Dauphin, please visit http://www.dauphin.ca/
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Eligible for membership or membership (in good standing) with the Law Society of Manitoba
- Satisfactory Criminal Record Search, Adult Abuse Registry Check & Child Abuse Registry Check
- Enhanced Security Screening
- Evening and weekend work as required
- Ability to travel by road and air, including overnight stays
- Litigation experience in the practice of criminal law
- Superior oral communication and presentation skills
- Superior written communication skills
- Superior interpersonal skills
- Excellent analytical skills
- Effective case management
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to effectively meet short deadlines
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Experience and proficiency with computer software packages including legal research applications, MS Word and Outlook or equivalents
As a Crown Attorney, you will provide prosecutorial service regarding matters arising under the Criminal Code of Canada and provincial statutes, in the provincial and superior courts. Other duties involve giving legal opinions, reviewing police reports and instructing police with respect to charges and investigations. The successful candidate will be expected to participate in community and other legal education in the areas of criminal law and procedures on behalf of Manitoba Prosecution Service.
Advertisement # 34457
Civil Service Commission
Human Resource Services
608-330 Portage Avenue
Winnipeg, MB, R3C 0C4
Please be advised that job competitions may be grieved and appealed. Should a selection grievance be filed, information from the competition file will be provided to the grievor's representative or the grievor, if unrepresented. Personal information irrelevant to the grievance and other information protected under legislation will be redacted.
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
WHEN APPLYING TO THIS POSITION, PLEASE INDICATE THE ADVERTISEMENT NUMBER AND POSITION TITLE IN THE SUBJECT LINE AND/OR BODY OF YOUR EMAIL.
Your cover letter, resumé and/or application must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.