BL4 Biologist 4
Department of Natural Resources and Northern Development
Fisheries, Resource Management and Protection
The Pas MB, Thompson MB, Gimli MB, Lac du Bonnet MB, Brandon MB, Winnipeg MB
Advertisement Number: 40662
BL4 $84,981.00 - $108,459.00 per year Plus Remoteness Allowance, if applicable.
March 13, 2023
The Manitoba government recognizes the importance of building an exemplary public service reflective of the citizens it serves, where diverse abilities, backgrounds, cultures, identities, languages and perspectives drives a high standard of service and innovation.
The Manitoba government supports equitable employment practices and promotes representation of designated groups (women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, visible minorities).
Employment Equity is a factor in selection for this competition. Consideration will be given to women, Indigenous people, visible minorities and persons with disabilities.
An eligibility list may be created for similar positions and will remain in effect for 12 months.
Candidates who do not meet all essential criteria may be considered on an underfill basis at a commensurate rate of pay.
*The work location for the Fisheries Management Section Manager position is flexible. The successful candidate has the ability to choose one of the following work headquarters: Winnipeg, Brandon, Lac du Bonnet, Gimli, Thompson, The Pas. The work location for the Sustainable Fisheries Section Manager position is Winnipeg, MB.*
The Fisheries Branch of Natural Resources and Northern Development is currently recruiting to fill two Section Manager positions: 1) Sustainable Fisheries Section Manager, 2) Fisheries Management Section Manager
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Must be physically able to undertake the duties of the position, including conducting field work in rough terrain and on water, during all seasons and under adverse weather conditions
- Must be able to work evenings, weekends and overtime as required
- Must possess and maintain a valid full stage Manitoba Class 5 driver's licence (or equivalent)
- Degree in natural resources management, environmental management, or biological sciences, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Experience implementing engagement and consultation with resource users, Indigenous communities, non-government organizations and industries
- Strong supervisory experience including experience with performance management
- Experience with the development and management of a budget
- Knowledge of fisheries management, ecosystem management and shared management, including knowledge of acts and regulations pertaining to fisheries management in Manitoba
- Effective leadership skills with experience motivating diverse teams to develop and implement strategic plans
- Strong written communication skills with the ability to prepare project proposals, management plans, correspondence and reports
- Strong verbal communication skills with the ability to communicate technical information and give presentations to a wide variety of audiences including the public, stakeholders, department executive, staff and other government departments and industry
- Superior organization skills with the ability to work under pressure with tight deadlines and changing priorities
- Sound analytical and problem solving skills
- Strong political acumen
- Strong understanding of sustainable fisheries certification
- Experience with the application of fisheries assessments, including experience leading regional field operations and the development of fish stock assessments
Section Managers are senior management positions reporting to the Director of Fisheries Branch. They are members of the Branch Senior Management Team and provide senior-level advice to government. The Fisheries Management Section Manager has direct responsibility to manage regional Fisheries staff and programs; to coordinate engagement with Indigenous communities, industry and the public on fisheries matters; and will foster cross-branch coordination between regional fisheries and head office staff. The Sustainable Fisheries Section Manager has direct responsibility for leading a section that coordinates commercial and recreational fisheries management across the province, including programs related to commercial fisheries, recreational angling, fish stock assessments and sustainable fishery certification.
Advertisement # 40662
Service Centre 4
Human Resource Services
600-259 Portage Avenue
Winnipeg, MB, R3B 2A9
WHEN APPLYING TO THIS POSITION, PLEASE INDICATE THE ADVERTISEMENT NUMBER AND POSITION TITLE IN THE SUBJECT LINE AND/OR BODY OF YOUR EMAIL.
Applicants may request reasonable accommodation related to the materials or activities used throughout the selection process.
When applying to this position, please indicate the advertisement number and position title in the subject line and/or body of your email.
Your cover letter, resumé and/or application must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.
Please be advised that job competitions for represented positions may be grieved by internal represented applicants. Should a selection grievance be filed, information from the competition file will be provided to the grievor's representative. Personal information irrelevant to the grievance and other information protected under legislation will be redacted.
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.