**EXTENDED** Assessment Officer 2 (AS1 Assessment Officer may be considered)
AS2 Assessment Officer 2
Assessment Services, Municipal Governance & Advisory Services
Advertisement Number: 40245
AS2 $48,210.00 - $57,004.00 per year
February 10, 2023
The Manitoba government recognizes the importance of building an exemplary public service reflective of the citizens it serves, where diverse abilities, backgrounds, cultures, identities, languages and perspectives drives a high standard of service and innovation.
The Manitoba government supports equitable employment practices and promotes representation of designated groups (women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, visible minorities).
This is a preference competition. All applicants are encouraged to apply, however first consideration for this competition will be given to Indigenous people, visible minorities and persons with disabilities. Applicants are requested to self-declare at the time of application.
This competition may be used to establish an eligibility list to fill current and future term or regular full-time similar positions, subject to staffing approval. The eligibility list will remain in effect for 12 months.
Candidates who do not meet all essential criteria may be considered on an underfill basis at a commensurate rate of pay.
Please submit a cover letter and resume when applying.
Do you have a background or interest in real estate, agriculture, land survey systems, geographic information systems, building construction or municipal government and enjoy meeting and interacting with people? Are you looking for a position that provides excellent career advancement potential, on-the-job training and financial support for required educational programs? Manitoba Municipal Relations is looking for motivated individuals to join our Property Assessment Team! If you're interested in a challenging career that combines office work, the outdoors and travel within the service region, a career as an Assessment Officer could be for you! The Department of Municipal Relations works with municipal partners to build strong and healthy communities. This includes building municipal capacity, supporting and improving community development, planning and permitting, and strengthening collaboration and shared solutions with municipalities.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Possess and maintain a valid full stage Manitoba Class 5 Driver's Licence
- Satisfactory Driver's Abstract
- Satisfactory Criminal Records check
- Must be willing and able to travel extensively throughout the assessment district with occasional overnight stays
- Must be willing to work overtime as required.
- Experience in Property Valuation, Business/Economics, Accounting / Finance, Drafting Design, or Municipal Administration. An equivalent combination of education and experience may also be considered.
- Experience providing superior client service in a professional environment.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills for prioritizing competing and multiple demands in a fast-paced environment.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills with the ability to establish and maintain relationships with staff, clients, as well as internal and external stakeholders.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills identify and explain complex issues and formulate appropriate responses.
- Excellent verbal communication skills for effectively conveying information to clients and other stakeholders.
- Excellent written communication skills for communicating simple to complex information to all levels of audiences.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Experience working with Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, Outlook) or equivalent software.
- Experience using mathematical concepts and calculations.
- Knowledge of real estate transactions to confirm sales verification.
- Knowledge of land legal descriptions; land survey system and geographical information systems or statistical analysis.
- Knowledge of building construction of various types of structures (residential, farm or commercial).
Under the supervision of the Thompson District Supervisor and with the guidance of the Valuation Coordinators, the Assessment Officer 2 inspects properties for valuation, classification, and assignment of liability to taxation. This role is responsible for updating property ownership characteristics in the Manitoba Assessment Valuation and Administration System (MAVAS) and may defend assessments at the Board of Revision hearings. The incumbent is required to participate in education and training programs as needed by the profession and must be able to travel to various locations in Manitoba.
Advertisement # 40245
Service Centre 2
Human Resource Services
360-1395 Ellice Avenue
Winnipeg, MB, R3G 3P2
WHEN APPLYING TO THIS POSITION, PLEASE INDICATE THE ADVERTISEMENT NUMBER AND POSITION TITLE IN THE SUBJECT LINE AND/OR BODY OF YOUR EMAIL.
Applicants may request reasonable accommodation related to the materials or activities used throughout the selection process.
When applying to this position, please indicate the advertisement number and position title in the subject line and/or body of your email.
Your cover letter, resumé and/or application must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.
Please be advised that job competitions for represented positions may be grieved by internal represented applicants. Should a selection grievance be filed, information from the competition file will be provided to the grievor's representative. Personal information irrelevant to the grievance and other information protected under legislation will be redacted.
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.