Senior Lake Winnipeg Specialist
EO4 Environmental Officer 4
Agriculture and Resource Development
Water, Ecosystem Management
Advertisement Number: 37996
EO4 $60,597.00 - $82,669.00 per year
September 7, 2021
The Manitoba government recognizes the importance of building an exemplary public service reflective of the citizens it serves, where diverse abilities, backgrounds, cultures, identities, languages and perspectives drives a high standard of service and innovation.
The Manitoba government supports equitable employment practices and promotes representation of designated groups (women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, visible minorities).
Employment Equity is a factor in selection for this competition. Consideration will be given to women, Indigenous people, visible minorities and persons with disabilities.
An eligibility list may be created for similar full-time regular or term positions located in Winnipeg and will remain in effect for 12 months.
Manitoba Agriculture and Resource Development is seeking a qualified individual to fill the position of Senior Lake Winnipeg Specialist within the Water Branch. The Manitoba government has a comprehensive benefit package which includes extended health care, health spending account, dental care, vision care, long term disability insurance, group life insurance, maternity/paternity leave, family related leave, and a defined pension plan (some pension plans allow for portability between the Civil Service Superannuation Board and employers).
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Must possess and maintain a valid full stage Manitoba Class 5 Drivers License
- Must be willing and able to work overtime as required
- Must be willing and able to travel throughout the province and occasionally outside of Manitoba (within Canada and the United States)
- Must be willing and able to undertake field work under sometimes harsh weather conditions
- A Bachelor of Science in an aquatic-related discipline, or an equivalent combination of related education, training and experience
- Experience conducting water quality and biological research on large lakes
- Thorough knowledge of water chemistry, biological processes, and pollutant interactions within the aquatic environment
- Experience assessing water quality and biological data using appropriate statistical tools including experience developing water quality models
- Experience developing adaptive management programs
- Experience in program management and planning, including designing, developing, implementing, reporting, and evaluating complex water quality related programs
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple work files, establish priorities, and manage time
- Effective interpersonal skills with ability to work with the federal, provincial and state governments, local governments, Indigenous peoples, researchers, stakeholders and the public including some with competing demands and expectations
- Strong verbal communication skills with experience giving presentations to a variety of audiences
- Excellent written communication skills with experience preparing comprehensive technical reports, brochures, or other documents to communicate the findings of research projects, studies and assessments
Reporting to the Manager, Water Quality Management Section, the incumbent will be responsible for leading research related to the health of Lake Winnipeg. This includes developing Lake Winnipeg eutrophication and ecological indicators, responsibility for federal-provincial reporting on Lake Winnipeg, and leading the development of an adaptive management framework for Lake Winnipeg. The incumbent will guide future local, provincial, and national efforts related to reducing nutrients and improving water quality and the health of Lake Winnipeg including the development of future standards, objectives, guidelines, policies, procedures and/or legislation.
Advertisement # 37996
Service Centre 4
Human Resource Services
600-259 Portage Avenue
Winnipeg, MB, R3B 2A9
Applicants may request reasonable accommodation related to the materials or activities used throughout the selection process.
When applying to this position, please indicate the advertisement number and position title in the subject line and/or body of your email.
Your cover letter, resumé and/or application must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.
Please be advised that job competitions may be grieved and appealed. Should a selection grievance be filed, information from the competition file will be provided to the grievor's representative or the grievor, if unrepresented. Personal information irrelevant to the grievance and other information protected under legislation will be redacted.
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.