Administrative/Executive Assistant & Correspondence Secretary (Multiple Positions)
AY4 Administrative Secretary 4
Regular/full-time; Regular/part-time; Term/full-time; Term/part-time
All Government of Manitoba Departments
Various rural locations MB, Various northern locations MB, Various urban locations MB
Advertisement Number: 37884
AY4 $46,167.00 - $52,578.00 per year (Plus Remoteness Allowance, if applicable - Thompson and The Pas)
July 19, 2021
The Manitoba government recognizes the importance of building an exemplary public service reflective of the citizens it serves, where diverse abilities, backgrounds, cultures, identities, languages and perspectives drives a high standard of service and innovation.
The Manitoba government supports equitable employment practices and promotes representation of designated groups (women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, visible minorities).
Employment Equity is a factor in selection for this competition. Consideration will be given to women, Indigenous people, visible minorities and persons with disabilities.
Applicants are requested to self-declare at time of application.
Applicants are required to select the work location(s) where they are able to work.
This competition may be used to appoint successful candidates to future acting status, term, part-time or regular appointments, pending appropriate staffing approval. Where established, an eligibility list will remain in effect until exhausted or expired based upon operational requirements. This competition may also be used to source candidates for other administrative positions at the Administrative Secretary 3 (AY3) level.
Preference may be given to internal candidates.
The Manitoba government is recognized as one of the top employers within the province and provides a comprehensive compensation and benefits package for its employees which includes extended health care, health spending account, dental care, vision care, long term disability insurance, group life insurance, maternity/paternity and parental leave, family related leave and a defined pension plan. The Manitoba government is also committed to supporting the development of its employees through training and career development opportunities.
How to Apply:
To be considered for this competition, candidates must:
Only candidates who complete the above steps and who satisfactorily meet the requirements will be invited for further assessment.
Only the information provided in the Application Screening Form will be used at this time to determine the candidate's suitability to proceed to the next stage of the recruitment process.
Click here to access the Application Screening Form.
- Complete the Application Screening Form;
- E-mail the completed Application Screening Form to the Civil Service Commission by email (firstname.lastname@example.org); and
- Quote Advertisement #37884 and Position Title in the subject line of the email.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Further conditions of employment may be required such as:
- Must provide and maintain a satisfactory Criminal Record Check (additional security checks may apply)
- Must have the ability to travel within the Province of Manitoba
- Must be available to work overtime, weekends, evenings and statutory holidays
- Must have a valid Class 5 Driver's Licence
- Post-secondary education in office/business administration with progressive administrative/clerical and secretarial experience or equivalent combination of education or training and extensive experience may be considered
- Experience providing administrative support to executive and senior level staff including working with sensitive and confidential information
- Office management experience including developing and maintaining office administrative systems and procedures, paper and electronic filing, document tracking, archiving and records management
- Effective written communication skills with experience preparing a variety of documents including correspondence, reports and/or authority seeking documents with strong attention to detail
- Effective problem solving skills with the ability to work independently, apply political acumen and exercise a high level of initiative
- Effective organizational and time management skills with the ability to prioritize workloads and effectively manage deadlines
- Effective interpersonal skills with the ability to work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders at all levels, and build and maintain working relationships
- Effective verbal communication skills with the ability to provide information in a clear and professional manner
- Experience using Microsoft Office programs including Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Ability to read, write and speak in French
- Experience working in the Manitoba (or other provincial) Legislative building environment providing administrative and secretarial support
- Experience using Activities and Issues Management System (AIMS)
- Experience working with SAP or an equivalent software
- Experience researching, analyzing, compiling and summarizing information
The incumbent provides highly specialized, confidential and professional administrative support to senior leadership. This position must interact effectively with members of the public and department employees, liaising regularly with staff in Assistant Deputy Minister, Deputy Minister, Minister and other divisional offices.
Key responsibilities include providing direct administrative support to senior leadership; establishing, maintaining and managing the office filing, tracking, record and archiving systems; organizing management’s administrative activities and procedures; developing and implementing office practices; conducting research and compiling information on assigned issues for the purpose of producing summaries and providing recommendations; and preparing documents and proofreading correspondence.
Advertisement # 37884
JOW-935-155 Carlton Street
Human Resource Services
935-155 Carlton Street
Winnipeg, MB, R3C 3H8
Applicants may request reasonable accommodation related to the materials or activities used throughout the selection process.
When applying to this position, please indicate the advertisement number and position title in the subject line and/or body of your email.
Your cover letter, resumé and/or application must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.
Please be advised that job competitions may be grieved and appealed by internal applicants. Should a selection grievance be filed, information from the competition file will be provided to the grievor's representative or the grievor, if unrepresented. Personal information irrelevant to the grievance and other information protected under legislation will be redacted.
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.