THIS POSITION IS OPEN ONLY TO EMPLOYEES OF THE MANITOBA CIVIL SERVICE.
AO2 Administrative Officer 2
Highway Regional Operations - Region 2, Technical Services & Operations
Portage la Prairie MB
Advertisement Number: 37700
AO2 $54,318.00 - $65,118.00 per year
June 28, 2021
The Manitoba government recognizes the importance of building an exemplary public service reflective of the citizens it serves, where diverse abilities, backgrounds, cultures, identities, languages and perspectives drives a high standard of service and innovation.
The Manitoba government supports equitable employment practices and promotes representation of designated groups (women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, visible minorities).
Employment Equity is a factor in selection for this competition. Consideration will be given to women, Indigenous people, visible minorities and persons with disabilities.
An eligibility list may be created for similar positions and will remain in effect for 12 months.
Candidates who do not meet all essential criteria may be considered on an underfill basis at a commensurate rate of pay.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Must be able to work flexible hours, overtime including weekends, and be called out at odd hours.
- Must possess a valid Manitoba Class 5 driver’s licence and be able to travel extensively within the province to worksites by ground, by water, and by air transportation.
- Completion of a degree, diploma or a recognized designation in Occupational Health and Safety (ie. Construction Safety Officer Program - NCSO designation) and experience in safety and health related work. A suitable combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Experience conducting risk assessments, Job Hazard analysis, inspections, implementing a safety management system and implementing emergency response plans.
- Experience conducting and documenting thorough incident investigations.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office tools including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SharePoint, and Outlook.
- Experience participating in Workplace Health and Safety Committees.
- Knowledge of current federal and provincial Occupational Safety and Health legislations, safe work practices, workplace serious accidents/incidents investigations and risk management principles and applicable building and fire codes.
- Strong leadership skill with the ability to foster a health and safety culture
- Ability to work independently
- Organizational skills while prioritizing multiple activities.
- Work in team environments and foster good working relationships with a wide variety of people.
- Interpersonal skills to deal with various stakeholders in a professional, and respectful manner.
- Written communication skills for reporting writing, presentations, training materials etc.
- Verbal communication skills
- Experience of road construction, preservation and maintenance activities and related equipment
Reporting to the Regional Administrator, the Safety Advisor is responsible for the sustainable delivery, co-ordination and evaluation of the OSHRM program in Manitoba Infrastructure (MI) workplaces. This position will conduct program gap analysis and periodic inspections of MI workplaces, operations and activities and provide consultative and technical support. The position co-ordinates MI OSHRM related training, testing, notes program deficiencies in MI workplaces, and assists in the appropriate action planning to identify and implement control measures to eliminate MI workplace hazards. The incumbent identifies system failures in the MI health and safety management system through an investigative process and develops mitigations to prevent injury and property damage in MI workplaces.
Advertisement # 37700
Service Centre 3
Human Resource Services
600-155 Carlton Street
Winnipeg, MB, R3C 3H8
Applicants may request reasonable accommodation related to the materials or activities used throughout the selection process.
When applying to this position, please indicate the advertisement number and position title in the subject line and/or body of your email.
Your cover letter, resumé and/or application must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.
Please be advised that job competitions may be grieved and appealed by internal applicants. Should a selection grievance be filed, information from the competition file will be provided to the grievor's representative or the grievor, if unrepresented. Personal information irrelevant to the grievance and other information protected under legislation will be redacted.
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.