Psychiatric Nursing Assistant
SN1 Psychiatric Nursing Assistant 1; SN2 Psychiatric Nursing Assistant 2
Term/full-time; Term/part-time; Casual
Department of Mental Health, Wellness and Recovery
Selkirk Mental Health Centre/Transition
Advertisement Number: 37516
SN1 $35,249.00 - $39,798.00 per year ; SN2 $37,482.00 - $45,412.00 per year
May 17, 2021
The Manitoba government recognizes the importance of building an exemplary public service reflective of the citizens it serves, where diverse abilities, backgrounds, cultures, identities, languages and perspectives drives a high standard of service and innovation.
The Manitoba government supports equitable employment practices and promotes representation of designated groups (women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, visible minorities).
Employment Equity is a factor in selection for this competition. Consideration will be given to Indigenous people, visible minorities and persons with disabilities.
An eligibility list may be created for similar positions and will remain in effect until exhausted.
Psychiatric Nursing Assistants are hired on an underfill basis at the Psychiatric Nursing Assistant 1 (SN1) classification and provided with support, training and on-the-job development to achieve the full working level of the position at the Psychiatric Nursing Assistant 2 (SN2) classification. In order to progress to the full working level of this position, candidates must successfully complete the Advanced Psychiatric Nursing Assistant 2 in-house training program within a reasonable timeframe, work a designated number of hours and demonstrate satisfactory attendance and performance on the job.
Selkirk Mental Health Centre (SMHC) is looking for dynamic and passionate Psychiatric Nursing Assistants to join their team in the float pool. SMHC is a 252-bed facility located in the City of Selkirk that provides specialized inpatient mental health and acquired brain injury treatment and rehabilitation services to residents of Manitoba whose challenging needs cannot be met elsewhere in the provincial health care system. Program areas include: Acute Psychiatric Care, Rehabilitation, Geriatrics and Acquired Brain Injury. For more information see www.gov.mb.ca/health/smhc.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Must provide a current and satisfactory Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Search
- Must provide a current and satisfactory Adult Abuse Registry Check
- Must be physically able to perform the duties of the position, including, but not limited to: bending, lifting, moving and transferring patients, as well as being on your feet for extended periods of time.
- Must be willing and able to work in any program area throughout the Centre (Acute, Geriatrics, Rehab, or Acquired Brain Injury).
- Must be willing and able to work a variety of shifts and flexible hours including days, evenings, overnights, holidays and overtime as required.
- Health Care Aid certificate, or a relevant combination education and experience may be considered.
- Experience providing care and assistance with activities of daily living.
- Ability to maintain a safe work environment.
- Ability to work productively as a member of a team.
- Ability to work independently and make decisions using sound judgment.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Effective verbal communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills to work effectively with patients and staff.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Good written communication skills to maintain accurate patient records.
- Experience working in a mental health-related field.
- Knowledge of mental health Issues.
The Psychiatric Nursing Assistant (PNA) participates as an active member of the treatment team carrying out specific therapeutic and rehabilitative interventions with patients based on recovery/treatment plans which have been developed following the Psychosocial Rehabilitation model. Working within any one of the programs at SMHC, the PNA provides patients with supervision and guidance; assistance with personal care and comfort; support in activities of daily living; and safe therapeutic and recreational activities.
Advertisement # 37516
Service Centre 2
Human Resource Services
360-1395 Ellice Avenue
Winnipeg, MB, R3G 3P2
Applicants may request reasonable accommodation related to the materials or activities used throughout the selection process.
When applying to this position, please indicate the advertisement number and position title in the subject line and/or body of your email.
Your cover letter, resumé and/or application must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.
Please be advised that job competitions may be grieved and appealed. Should a selection grievance be filed, information from the competition file will be provided to the grievor's representative or the grievor, if unrepresented. Personal information irrelevant to the grievance and other information protected under legislation will be redacted.
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.