Inspector - Elevator and Amusement Rides
IMS Inspector, Mechanical Codes and Standards
Department of Growth, Enterprise and Trade
Office of the Fire Commissioner , Labour and Regulatory Services
Advertisement Number: 34876
IMS $63,715.00 - $81,204.00 per year
April 8, 2019
The Manitoba government recognizes the importance of building an exemplary civil service that is inclusive and reflective of the population it serves. We encourage applicants to voluntarily self-declare in the cover letter, resumé or application if they are from any of the following employment equity groups: women, Indigenous people, visible minorities, and persons with disabilities.
This is a preference competition. All applicants are encouraged to apply, however first consideration for this competition will be given to Indigenous people. Applicants are requested to self-declare at the time of application.
An eligibility list may be created for similar positions and will remain in effect for 12 months.
A detailed position description is available upon request.
The Office of the Fire Commissioner (OFC) is a special operating agency (SOA) of the Manitoba government that performs a critical role in ensuring and maintaining Manitoba’s public safety. The overall mission is to safeguard both persons and property from fire and life safety hazards through education, investigation, emergency response and code application.
The Agency is seeking to fill an Inspector - Elevator and Amusement Rides position in Winnipeg, MB.
If you are looking for a rewarding and exciting career, this is a great opportunity to join our team. The Manitoba government has a comprehensive compensation and benefits package which includes extended health care, health spending account, dental care, vision care, long term disability insurance, group life insurance, maternity/paternity leave, family related leave and a defined pension plan (some pension plans allow for portability between the Civil Service Superannuation Board and employers). Training and career development opportunities are also available for employees.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Licensed as an Elevator Mechanic in Manitoba. Candidates with equivalent license from another Canadian jurisdiction may be considered subject to evaluation of their credentials by the Inspection and Technical Services (ITS), OFC
- Licensed as a Limited Specialized Trade Electrician (M License) with the Province of Manitoba. Candidates with equivalent license from another Canadian jurisdiction may be considered subject to evaluation of their credentials by the Inspection and Technical Services (ITS), OFC
- Satisfactory Criminal Record Check and Child Abuse Registry Check
- Valid Manitoba class 5 driver’s license (or equivalent from other Canadian jurisdiction) and satisfactory driver’s abstract
- Able to travel throughout Manitoba and occasionally in Canada and internationally
- Able to work weekends and evenings as necessary
- Physically capable of performing the duties and functions of the job including lifting heavy objects, driving long distances, kneeling, standing, climbing stairs and ladders, working in confined spaces, at heights and within a variety of temperatures
- Able to wear personal protective equipment, including respirator
- Must be able to work alone for extended periods of time
- Extensive experience in the operation, installation, service, maintenance and/or inspection of elevator and/or elevating devices
- Knowledge of the codes and standards governing the safe installation and operation of elevators (including the Elevator Act, Electricians Licensing Act & the Amusement Act - Part 2)
- Strong interpersonal skills for the purpose of dealing with diverse clients/stakeholders
- Strong written communication skills for preparing detailed or technical inspection reports
- Effective verbal communication skills with the ability to explain technical issues
- Strong decision-making and problem-solving skills
- Ability to manage multiple or competing priorities within tight timeframes
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Computer proficiency in processing documents and spreadsheets and operating e-mail software
- Certification as a commercial and industrial electrician in the Province of Manitoba
- Knowledge of investigation and inspection techniques and procedures
Reporting to the Program Manager, the incumbent is responsible for providing technical safety inspections of elevating devices and amusement rides across Manitoba to ensure the safety of the public. While doing so, the incumbent exercises considerable authority on behalf of the Agency to ensure compliance with requirements specified under the following provincial statutes supporting the following regulations and applicable codes and standards: Department of Labour Act, Elevator Act, Electricians License Act, Amusement Act - Part 2 and The Technical Safety Act.
Advertisement # 34876
Service Centre 4
Human Resource Services
600-259 Portage Avenue
Winnipeg, MB, R3B 2A9
Please be advised that job competitions may be grieved and appealed. Should a selection grievance be filed, information from the competition file will be provided to the grievor's representative or the grievor, if unrepresented. Personal information irrelevant to the grievance and other information protected under legislation will be redacted.
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
WHEN APPLYING TO THIS POSITION, PLEASE INDICATE THE ADVERTISEMENT NUMBER AND POSITION TITLE IN THE SUBJECT LINE AND/OR BODY OF YOUR EMAIL.
Your cover letter, resumé and/or application must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.