Crown Counsel (Legislation)
LF1-3 Legal Counsel 1-3
Advertisement Number: 33706
LF1-3 $74,707.00 - $150,699.00 per year
February 23, 2018
The Manitoba government recognizes the importance of building an exemplary civil service that is inclusive and reflective of the population it serves. We encourage applicants to voluntarily self-declare in the cover letter, resumé or application if they are from any of the following employment equity groups: women, Indigenous people, visible minorities, and persons with disabilities.
Employment Equity is a factor in selection for this competition. Consideration will be given to women, Indigenous people, visible minorities and persons with disabilities.
An eligibility list may be created for similar positions and will remain in effect for 6 months.
Please also provide a sample of your writing. Candidates may be asked to complete a written exercise.
The Legislative Counsel Office is the legislative drafting office for the Government of Manitoba. The Office also provides legal advice and assistance as Law Officer of the Legislative Assembly.
Crown Counsel at the Legislative Counsel Office are members of the Manitoba Association of Crown Attorneys and compensation is commensurate with experience as set out in the collective agreement.
The Legislative Counsel Office offers a positive working environment. We value and support continuous learning, collaboration and a commitment to excellence.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Eligible for membership or membership in good standing with the Law Society of Manitoba
- Satisfactory Criminal Record Check
- Evening and weekend work as required
- Extensive experience and excellence in the practice of law
- Superior ability to write clearly, accurately and analytically
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to meet critical deadlines
- Ability to make decisions and solve problems independently
- Ability to work cooperatively and constructively in a team environment
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to build and maintain strong client relationships
- High level of judgment, discretion and tact
- Strong academic background
As Crown Counsel (Legislation), you will work with senior government officials in a broad range of government departments and agencies, and with lawyers in other divisions of Manitoba Justice, in drafting statutes and regulations. You will also work directly with members of the Legislative Assembly and their staff in drafting bills and committee amendments for private members. You will also provide related legal advice to the government and to members of the Assembly.
Advertisement # 33706
Civil Service Commission
Human Resource Services
608-330 Portage Avenue
Winnipeg, MB, R3C 0C4
Please be advised that job competitions may be grieved and appealed. Should a selection grievance be filed, information from the competition file will be provided to the grievor’s representative or the grievor, if unrepresented. Personal information irrelevant to the grievance and other information protected under legislation will be redacted.
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
WHEN APPLYING TO THIS POSITION, PLEASE INDICATE THE ADVERTISEMENT NUMBER AND POSITION TITLE IN THE SUBJECT LINE AND/OR BODY OF YOUR EMAIL.
Your cover letter, resumé and/or application must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.