BB1 Attorney 1
Legal Aid Manitoba, Civil Law
Advertisement Number: 33659
BB1 $70,394.00 - $85,563.00 per year
January 30, 2018
The Manitoba government recognizes the importance of building an exemplary civil service that is inclusive and reflective of the population it serves. We encourage applicants to voluntarily self-declare in the cover letter, resumé or application if they are from any of the following employment equity groups: women, Indigenous people, visible minorities, and persons with disabilities.
Employment Equity is a factor in selection for this competition. Consideration will be given to women, Indigenous people, visible minorities and persons with disabilities.
An eligibility list may be created for similar positions and will remain in effect for 6 months.
Legal Aid Manitoba provides legal help to people who are financially eligible. We strive to serve all clients with respect and dignity. Our service is fundamental to a fair and balanced justice system.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Satisfactory Criminal Records Check, Child Abuse Registry Check, and Adult Abuse Registry Check
- Valid Class 5 Driver's Licence
- Must be a member in good standing or eligible for membership with the Law Society of Manitoba at the time of starting the position
- The ability to travel within the province
- Experience litigating in the field of Criminal Defence law
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to interact effectively with the public, clients, support staff, government agencies and professionals
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills
- Ability to work cooperatively in a team environment
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Excellent written communication skills
- Ability to manage a high volume of cases and work independently and effectively to meet critical deadlines and billing targets established by Management
- Accurate and timely electronic recording of case detail and time information
Ability to use electronic information and document management systems
The incumbent is required to attend court in their home city as well as circuit points in the surrounding rural area. This position will manage an assigned caseload in an efficient and effective manner, keep up-to-date, accurate time and billing records, assist other lawyers in their office with a member of the office's legal team, as well as performing other related duties as assigned.
Advertisement # 33659
Civil Service Commission
Human Resource Services
608-330 Portage Avenue
Winnipeg, MB, R3C 0C4
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
WHEN APPLYING TO THIS POSITION, PLEASE INDICATE THE ADVERTISEMENT NUMBER AND POSITION TITLE IN THE SUBJECT LINE AND/OR BODY OF YOUR EMAIL.
Your cover letter, resumé and/or application must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.