Regional Park Operations Supervisor
RO5 Resource Officer 5
Department of Sustainable Development
Eastern Region, Parks and Regional Services
Lac du Bonnet MB
Advertisement Number: 33617
RO5 $66,386.00 - $80,098.00 per year
January 14, 2018
The Manitoba government recognizes the importance of building an exemplary public service reflective of the citizens it serves, where diverse abilities, backgrounds, cultures, identities, languages and perspectives drives a high standard of service and innovation.
The Manitoba government supports equitable employment practices and promotes representation of designated groups (women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, visible minorities).
Employment Equity is a factor in selection for this competition. Consideration will be given to women, Indigenous people, visible minorities and persons with disabilities.
Sustainable Development is seeking a qualified individual to fill the position of Regional Park Operations Supervisor (RO5) located in Lac du Bonnet. The Manitoba government has a comprehensive benefits package which includes extended health care, health spending account, dental care, vision care, long term disability insurance, group life insurance, maternity/paternity leave, family related leave, and a defined pension plan (some pension plans allow for portability between the Civil Service Superannuation Board and employers).
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Must possess and maintain a valid Manitoba Class 5 driver's licence
- Must be physically able to perform the duties of the position, including conducting field work in rough terrain, during all seasons and under adverse weather conditions
- Must be willing and able to travel within Canada with occasional overnight stays
- Graduation with a degree or diploma from one of the following: an approved program in Renewable Resource Management, Municipal or Public Service Administration or Recreational Administration with several years experience in park management of a large, high volume parks operation or in management of a large, high volume, multi-faceted program. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered
- Human Resource management experience, including supervision of a large organization or program, performance management, recruitment and selection, training and development, progressive discipline, respectful workplace policy and labour relations issues
- Financial management experience in the preparation, monitoring and control of annual operating budgets including administration of salary, operating, and capital budget areas
- Experience and/or knowledge in the delivery and administration of park operations and projects (or equivalent), including: purchasing, construction, maintenance of municipal or typical park infrastructure such as roads, potable water systems, wastewater systems, buildings and grounds and other capital work projects
- Strong analytical, problem solving and decision-making skills
- Effective verbal communication skills, including the ability to make presentations
- Strong written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to foster effective working relationships with diverse levels of staff, other government agencies, non-government agencies and the public
- Experience working with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Outlook, Excel) or similar software applications
- Knowledge and/or experience with the development, implementation and evaluation of programs and policies
- Knowledge of Workplace Safety & Health responsibilities and experience in emergency planning
As a member of the Regional Parks Management team, accountable to the Regional Services Superintendent, the incumbent manages the delivery of parks operations delivered through district park field offices in the region. The incumbent is accountable for ensuring programs are cost effective, delivered within pre-approved parameters, meet all regulatory, administrative and licensing requirements, and that professional, business-like, quality customer service is provided to the Department's clients. The position is responsible for the direct supervision of the District Park Supervisors and assists with resolving issues while providing direction in problem solving, planning, organizing and implementing programs in the field.
Advertisement # 33617
Civil Service Commission
Human Resource Services
608-330 Portage Avenue
Winnipeg, MB, R3C 0C4
Applicants may request reasonable accommodation related to the materials or activities used throughout the selection process.
When applying to this position, please indicate the advertisement number and position title in the subject line and/or body of your email.
Your cover letter, resumé and/or application must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.
Please be advised that job competitions may be grieved and appealed by internal applicants. Should a selection grievance be filed, information from the competition file will be provided to the grievor's representative or the grievor, if unrepresented. Personal information irrelevant to the grievance and other information protected under legislation will be redacted.
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.