BB1-3 Staff Attorney 1-3
Legal Aid Manitoba, Civil Law
November 6, 2017
The Manitoba government recognizes the importance of building an exemplary civil service that is inclusive and reflective of the population it serves. We encourage applicants to voluntarily self-declare in the cover letter, resumé or application if they are from any of the following employment equity groups: women, Indigenous people, visible minorities, and persons with disabilities.
Employment Equity is a factor in selection for this competition. Consideration will be given to women, Indigenous people, visible minorities and persons with disabilities.
Legal Aid Manitoba provides legal help to people who are financially eligible. We strive to serve all clients with respect and dignity. Our service is fundamental to a fair and balanced justice system.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
- Satisfactory Criminal Records Check, Child Abuse Registry Check, and Adult Abuse Registry Check
- Valid Class 5 Driver's Licence
- Must be a member in good standing or eligible for membership with the Law Society of Manitoba at the time of starting the position
- The ability to travel within the province
- Experience litigating in the field of Criminal Defence law
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to interact effectively with the public, clients, support staff, government agencies and professionals
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills
- Ability to work cooperatively in a team environment
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Excellent written communication skills
- Ability to manage a high volume of cases and work independently and effectively to meet critical deadlines and billing targets established by Management
- Accurate and timely electronic recording of case detail and time information
- Ability to scan, review, edit and use electronic documents
The incumbent is required to attend court in their home city as well as circuit points in the surrounding rural area. This position will manage an assigned case load in an efficient and effective manner as well as performing other related duties as assigned.
Civil Service Commission
Human Resource Services
, R3C 0C4
WHEN APPLYING TO THIS POSITION, PLEASE INDICATE THE ADVERTISEMENT NUMBER AND POSITION TITLE IN THE SUBJECT LINE AND/OR BODY OF YOUR EMAIL.