Crown Counsel (Legislation) (Translation Counsel)
LF1-3 Crown Counsel
Legislative Counsel Office, Legislative Counsel Office
May 1, 2017
The Manitoba government recognizes the importance of building an exemplary civil service that is inclusive and reflective of the population it serves. We encourage applicants to voluntarily self-declare in the cover letter, resumé or application if they are from any of the following employment equity groups: women, Indigenous people, visible minorities, and persons with disabilities.
Employment Equity is a factor in selection for this competition. Consideration will be given to women, Indigenous people, visible minorities and persons with disabilities.
The Legislative Counsel Office is the legislative drafting and translation office for the Government of Manitoba. The Office also provides legal advice and translation services to the Legislative Assembly. We prepare all Manitoba legislation in both official languages.
Crown Counsel at the Legislative Counsel Office are members of the Manitoba Association of Crown Attorneys and compensation is commensurate with experience as set out in the collective agreement.
The Legislative Counsel Office offers a positive working environment. We value and support continuous learning, collaboration and a commitment to excellence. Legislative Counsel offers an attractive benefits package and a defined pension plan and provides opportunities for development. This is a Designated Bilingual position. The successful candidate must be able to communicate verbally and in writing in both official languages (French and English).
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
- Eligible for membership or membership (in good standing) with the Law Society of Manitoba.
- Satisfactory Criminal Record Search.
- Designated Bilingual (French and English).
- Evening and weekend work as required.
Please also provide a sample of your legal writing in both French and English. Candidates may be asked to complete a written exercise.
- Superior experience or training in practicing law in French and English.
- Superior knowledge of legal terminology in French.
- Ability to write clearly and analytically in English.
- Ability to write clearly and analytically in French.
- Excellent verbal communication skills in English.
- Excellent verbal communication skills in French.
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to meet critical deadlines.
- Ability to work cooperatively and constructively in a team environment.
- High level of judgment, discretion and tact.
- Strong academic background.
- Completed legal studies in French.
- Translation experience.
- Experience in legislative drafting or the development of statutes or regulations.
- Use of plain language in legal writing.
Translation Counsel’s raison d’être is the continued excellence of the French version of Manitoba’s legislation.
Translation Counsel will play a leadership role in ensuring that the French version of Manitoba legislation is accurate and legally effective. You will work closely with lawyers, translators and other professionals in the development of bilingual legislation, providing legal advice and support to legislative translators and others. You will also support the translators’ professional development in respect of legal terminology and concepts.
Working with our team of legislative drafters and editors, you will also draft legislation in English. In that role, you will work with senior government officials in a broad range of government departments and agencies and with members of the Legislative Assembly and their staff.
Civil Service Commission
Human Resource Services
, R3C 0C4
WHEN APPLYING TO THIS POSITION, PLEASE INDICATE THE ADVERTISEMENT NUMBER AND POSITION TITLE IN THE SUBJECT LINE AND/OR BODY OF YOUR EMAIL.