Building Codes Inspector
IMS Inspector Mechanical, Codes and Standards
Department of Labour and Immigration
Inspection and Technical Services, Labour and Immigration
Advertisement Number: 40891
IMS $68,682.00 - $87,506.00 per year
May 7, 2023
The Manitoba government recognizes the importance of building an exemplary public service reflective of the citizens it serves, where diverse abilities, backgrounds, cultures, identities, languages and perspectives drives a high standard of service and innovation.
The Manitoba government supports equitable employment practices and promotes representation of designated groups (women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, visible minorities).
This is a preference competition. All applicants are encouraged to apply, however first consideration for this competition will be given to women, Indigenous people, visible minorities and persons with disabilities. Applicants are requested to self-declare at the time of application.
An eligibility list may be created for similar positions and will remain in effect for 12 months.
The Manitoba government is seeking a highly motivated individual to work with the Department of Labour and Immigration as a Building Codes Inspector. The Manitoba government has a comprehensive compensation and benefits package which includes extended health care, health spending account, dental care, vision care, long term disability insurance, group life insurance, maternity/paternity leave, family related leave and a defined pension plan (some pension plans allow for portability between the Civil Service Superannuation Board and employers). Training and career development opportunities are also available for employees.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Must be able to possess and maintain a satisfactory Criminal Record Check and Child Abuse Registry Check.
- Part 9 and Part 3 building code courses completed or able to complete within 2 years of start date.
- Must be willing and able to travel within Manitoba including overnight stays for extended periods of time.
- The candidate must be physically capable of performing the duties of this position including working in confined spaces, at heights, wearing personal protective equipment and within a variance of ambient temperature.
- Must hold a class 5 driver’s licence.
- Knowledge of or education in; a trade, technical service, or as an inspector in a related field.
- Knowledge of applicable legislation, regulations, codes and standards.
- Knowledge of effective investigation and inspection techniques and procedures.
- Strong written communication skills with the ability to explain technical information.
- Strong time management skills and ability to meet competing deadlines.
- Ability to work independently.
- Strong interpersonal skills to build and maintain strong working relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Strong verbal communication skills.
- Completion of Building Inspection Certificate - Part 9 CBCO or Part 3 CBCO.
- Journeyperson/Red Seal status in a building construction trade, professional engineer or architect, Certified Engineering Technologist.
The Building Inspector represents Inspections and Technical Services in the delivery and enforcement of The Building & Mobile Homes Act.
The incumbent also provides consultative services regarding the application of applicable codes and standards in Manitoba and facilitates education and training related to the codes. This position requires a highly motivated individual capable of performing the duties of this position with minimal day-to-day supervision. The incumbent must have experience working with all facets of applicable codes and standards adopted by Manitoba. The incumbent must have excellent communication and presentation skills and be capable of identifying life safety hazards and improper construction through code application.
Advertisement # 40891
Service Centre 3
Human Resource Services
600-155 Carlton Street
Winnipeg, MB, R3C 3H8
WHEN APPLYING TO THIS POSITION, PLEASE INDICATE THE ADVERTISEMENT NUMBER AND POSITION TITLE IN THE SUBJECT LINE AND/OR BODY OF YOUR EMAIL.
Applicants may request reasonable accommodation related to the materials or activities used throughout the selection process.
When applying to this position, please indicate the advertisement number and position title in the subject line and/or body of your email.
Your cover letter, resumé and/or application must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.
Please be advised that job competitions for represented positions may be grieved by internal represented applicants. Should a selection grievance be filed, information from the competition file will be provided to the grievor's representative. Personal information irrelevant to the grievance and other information protected under legislation will be redacted.
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.